The only time we usually think about our home’s electrical system is when something doesn’t work as it should. A switch doesn’t turn on the overhead light, or an appliance doesn’t turn on when plugged in. While the cause is usually burned-out bulbs or worn-out appliances, the issue could be with your home’s electrical system. The issue can be even more complicated in older homes. When should a home get an electrical inspection? NJ Electrical Services, a top electrician in Silver Spring Maryland, can provide a quality inspection for your home.
When to Get an Electrical Inspection
It’s important to know when to call for an electrical inspection. Here are some reasons for contacting a licensed electrician to conduct an inspection:
- Instead of a breaker box, your home has a fuse box. Both work by cutting the electrical current when the circuit overloads, but with a fuse box, the fuse has to be replaced before electricity can be restored to the outlet or switch.
- The wiring is not sufficient to run modern appliances. Wiring such as knob and tube wiring, common in the 1950s, cannot run our modern lives.
- Wiring is aluminum instead of copper. Aluminum wiring increases the risks of fire.
- Circuit breakers are constantly kicking off. If you notice that your circuit breakers are kicking off a lot, that is an indication you need an electrician to assess your home’s wiring needs.
- Outlets in your home have two prongs instead of three. The two-prong outlets do not allow for grounding which can increase fire risk.
- Special outlets for certain appliances are not installed in your home.
During the Inspection
During the inspection, the licensed electricians from NJ Electric Services will check the following:
- Light switches and outlets.
- Electrocution hazards will be identified.
- Circuits will be checked to make sure they are working properly.
- Security lighting and safety will be assessed.
- Smoke detectors will be checked to make sure they are working properly.
- Your breaker box or fuse box will be inspected.
- Outdoor electrical components will be checked.
Finding an Electrician in Silver Spring Maryland
If you need an electrical inspection for your home, contact the professionals at NJ Electric Services, a premier electrician in Silver Spring, Maryland.