As an adult, we know that safety precautions are essential in preventing electrocution and electrical fires. We also understand that if the electrical system in your home has issues or appears to be malfunctioning, you should call an electrician in Silver Spring.
Children, however, might need to be taught electrical tips to prevent electrocution and electrical fires. Below is a list of electrical safety tips for children of all ages.
Elementary School-Aged Children
Elementary school-aged children don’t always understand much about how electricity works, and it is essential that they understand electrical safety tips to prevent an electrical accident.
- Nothing should ever go in the electrical outlets, even if they don’t seem to be working. Children should be taught to avoid putting paperclips, pens, or any other object in the outlets.
- There is a proper way to unplug something from an outlet. Rather than yanking the cord from the middle, it should be pulled out by the base.
- Children should be taught to ensure their hands are dry before unplugging something to prevent electrocution.
- Shoes should never be thrown over the power lines, even if there is already a pair hanging. They should also be taught never to attempt to remove a pair of shoes from the power lines.
Middle School and High School-Aged Children
Middle school and high school-aged children may be older than elementary school-aged children, but they still need to be taught electrical safety tips.
- Always avoid the green metal boxes on school property. These are pad-mounted transformers, and if tampered with, there is a risk of electrical shock.
- Teens who recently received their driver’s license should remember to watch out for electrical crews working on the roads.
- If there is an accident on the road, downed power lines could still contain live electricity and should be avoided at all costs.
- During science lab, students should be cautious when plugging in equipment. Their hands should be dry, and there should be no moisture from the sink, eyewash station, or chemicals around the equipment that is plugged in.
When teens go off to college, they won’t have a parent there to prevent electrical accidents; therefore, knowing a few electrical safety tips is essential.
- Anything not in use should be unplugged. Many dorms have dated electrical systems and cannot handle an overload of electricity.
- Power strips with heavy-gauge cords are best.
- Power strips or extension cords with frayed or broken wires should be replaced.
- Extension cords should not be hidden under rugs or furniture because they can create a fire hazard.
- Clothing, books, and flammable materials should be kept away from the heater.
- Avoid leaving cooking appliances in the dorm room unattended.
- Space heaters and air conditioners should be plugged directly into the wall, not into an extension cord or power strip.
- The third prong should never be removed to fit it into a two-prong outlet. Instead, an adapter should be used to make a two-prong outlet into a three-prong outlet.
- Keep gadgets such as laptop chargers, phone chargers, and mini-fridges away from bedding and curtains.
- Don’t plug too many devices into one outlet. An electrical overload can cause an electrical fire.
Call an Electrician in Silver Spring, MD
All electrical issues should be checked by an electrician. Contact NJ Electrical Services. Our electricians are highly trained and experienced and can make the necessary repair to prevent an electrical fire.