As a landlord, you have an obligation to make sure your units have a sound electrical system. A licensed electrician can assess your property’s electrical system and make sure it is safe and up to code. If you are looking for an electrician in Washington DC, the professionals at NJ Electric Services can help.
Electrical Safety Tips
When it comes to electrical safety, what are your obligations, and how can you make sure your property is up to code? Below are tips on maintaining your property’s electrical system:
- Routinely inspect outlets and wiring for signs of damage such as cracked covers or exposed wires.
- Turn on all utilities and make sure they are working properly.
- Inspect and test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors regularly. Change the backup batteries regularly.
- Complete a full cycle on all appliances to make sure they are working properly.
- With lights, turn them all on and off. Visually inspect the lights and look for flickering, listen for buzzing sounds, and check for the smell of smoke.
- Become familiar with your inspection requirements and do regular inspections on your units to make sure they meet or exceed code requirements for your area.
- Check in with tenants and ask about any electrical problems they may have experienced.
- When inspecting the units, make sure the tenants didn’t install new appliances.
- Visually inspect high traffic areas and make sure cables or cords are safely secured, so they don’t create a fall hazard or are placed in such a way they can be damaged.
- Review all appliances installed in the unit for potential recalls. If appliances have been recalled, make sure the repairs or replacements are done in a timely manner.
- If additions have been made to the unit or property, make sure the breaker box is able to handle the added electrical load.
- Make sure there is routine pest control at your rental property or properties since some pests can cause electrical issues.
Electrician in Washington DC
Being a landlord is a huge responsibility, and keeping the electrical system safe is a key priority. To get a licensed electrician in Washington DC to inspect your electrical system, call NJ Electric Services, and let them take care of all your electrical needs.